[VB] travailing out to CA again & GPS systems

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Tue Jun 18 19:19:14 MST 2013

Well I am going out to CA again to take another longer test drive in my '78
westy. I'll be driving from Mountainview up to Lake Tahoe, Grover Hot
Springs, Mono Lake, Maybe Yosemite, or Lake Alpine, New Melones Lake.then
back to Mountainview.

I think this will be my last Test Drive of my bus before I drive it back
home to Boston. I think my wife and I have decided to do the big drive in
the fall.

When we drive together, I'm usually doing most of the driving, and go a
little crazy trying to get directions from my wife. It Is a big
communication black hole. I'm trying to come up with a better system. She
typically uses her cellphone GPS, and I can't get her to use a paper map.
The cell phone things doesn't always have a good signal - especially when
you get to the remote locations where you actually really need help. Plus
the screens are a bit small. If I were to get one of those GPS units like a
Garmin or TomTom - do they have much better reception? Ie they work
everywhere. And if I get one-what do you guys recommend?

Suggestions.?

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy