[VB] Current state of Redux Box supplies?

claralw at aol.com claralw at aol.com
Wed Jun 12 08:47:34 MST 2013

I have been driving buses with RGBs for years, put ~35,000 miles on the kombi in the last 3 years.

RGBs are pretty stout, the boxes themselves rarely fail.
Bearings can wear out, but that does not happen often.
I have only seen boxes fail after bearings fail, and were ignored long enough to have the gears slop so bad they chew the boxes.
There would have been noises and rumbles that warned a normal person of an issue long before the chewing started.

Generally, keep oil in them and they last for a long time

The reason people put RGBs on bajas is to lower the gearing, for off road traction.
Also, if you have real big tires, this compensates to bring the gearing back down. (30" tires are not small. )
Also, it gives better ground clearance.   :)

I wouldn't fix the tranny if it ain't broke.

In terms of immediate pitfalls, check the axles boots for cracks or tears, and replace them if needed.
And top up the gear oil ... fill hole on side of tranny. . oil should be up to the edge of the fill hole, add if needed.   Is connected to the RGBs like a habitrail.   Unless there was an obvious leak at a box, no need to add at the boxes.

If it has been sitting for a while, give it all new fuel line.