[T2] Carb issues

Dave Gillingham dave at coronado-realty.com
Wed Jul 17 14:53:02 PDT 2019

My 73 panel van has a 76 2.0 engine that was rebuilt about 40,000 miles
ago.  At the time dual Kadrons were installed, and other than running a bit
rich they were great until about 3 years ago.  Then, one side or the other
would not work properly.  Most recently, the left side partially failed,
and cleaning the idle jet didn't fix the problem so I decided to remove the
carb and rebuild it yet again.  That's when the trouble started.

As I removed the carb I saw something fall into the intake manifold, which
turned out to be one of the small screws for attaching the base plate.
Luckily, removing the manifold and snorkeling around with a magnet
retrieved the screw.  But the very surprising part, and the purpose of this
email is that the manifold nuts were barely finger tight.  Obviously, I
plan to check the tightness of the manifold nuts on the other side, but the
discovery caused me to wonder if there is any sort of spec for how often
the head bolts should be re-torqued?

Dave Gillingham, Owner/Broker

License # 01184185

o:  (619) 435-0145