[T2] ignition and turn signal switch problem

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Mon Feb 18 16:27:24 PST 2019

I figured out what was wrong with the ignition switch. We all complain
about poor quality on these electrical components. I had re-soldered the
Blk-Yel wire connected to terminal X. This caused the terminal to shift
in the plastic housing so that it did not make contact when the switch
was turned. I was able to press the piece back into place. It took a
good squeeze on my pliers to do it so I don't think it will move again.
I now have half the headlights. Can't be sure whether its the low or
high beams.

As for the emergency flasher, it continues to run as soon as the power
is turned on with the ignition switch. Been tracing wires to no avail. I
even opened the switch to be sure that the contacts were being made
correctly to one another. The switch seems to be good. Turn signal left
stops the E flashers on the left and Turn signal right stops the E
flashers on the right.

The flasher relay seems to powered all the time. Whether the emergency
flasher switch is on or off.
The white wire from the E switch seems to be power to the flasher relay.
In the off position, power is routed from the green wire, fuse 12 on the
right to pin 15 on the switch and connects to the white wire on pin +.
In the ON position power is routed from the red wire, fuse position 8 to
pin 30 on the switch and connects to the white wire on pin +.
This is all per the schematics for a 71 bus.

I also noted that turning on the head lights shuts off the oil light.

Any ideas or words of encouragement appreciated.

Its the journey, not the destination, however it would be nice if I
could get this bus on the road.
Chris