[T2] [Q] Gas Tank Restoration

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Thu Mar 29 12:17:53 PDT 2018

> restored (internally) or replaced. Before pulling the tank out, however, am
> trying to determine if there is a way to treat a gas tank "in place".

in place, no.  you have to be able to flip and shake and turn - so
unless your bus is already mounted to a rotisserie...

> One symptom is that I can turn a new fuel filter black in a matter of a few
> weeks. Must be a good bit of junk in there. That one-or-two tank fulls of
> ethanol gas surely didn't help.

today's fuels definitely make a rusty take problem worse - the seem to
pull out the very file micro particles, and they'll even pass the
filters.

I believe that we now have repro tanks available for baywindows - I
dont recall what year your bus is though.   Wish we had nice modern
poly tanks instead..... if I were installing a repro tank, I'd -still-
Red Kote the tank when new.   A lot easier than trying to clean and
scrub and purge the old tank first...

Mind you - no tank coating is certain to not break down in the future.
   so far my Red Kote has been a great success though, 8 years in.