[T2] VW list of Road Trip essentials

bubbadorun1 at netzero.net bubbadorun1 at netzero.net
Mon Mar 5 14:22:26 PST 2018

I just had to throw this out there...back in the day I used to drive my 71 Westy to Mexico every winter to avoid the cold.  I loved to go to the ruins and the market towns and chased history and food.  I went to some amazing places. I used to carry a complete spare engine under the seat in back. Crank pulley to flywheel and valve cover to valve cover. I would then pack all of the little bits around that.  Carb, dist, coil,generator, regulator.The cooler holes would be sealed and the cooler shoved in where it would fit. Plugs and wires and fuel pump. It sounds excessive, but I was prepared when it caught fire in San Antonio and on another occasion when I dropped a valve in the Matauela desert. I also carried a spare set of brake pads and front and rear wheel bearings.  Of course a clutch cable, accel cable and fan belt.  But that was then, this is now. All of that pretty much became unnecessary when I learned enough Spanish to patronize one of the 100,000,000 VW repair shops in Mexico.  Some of them were damn good.

Lanny
71 Westy
69 Ghia
70 Manx