[T2] Fwd: Safety Valve

c.dreike c.dreike at verizon.net
Sat Jul 28 21:36:04 PDT 2018

 From Ron Dunn,
Thought I should forward to the list.
Chris
64DD Kamper Kit

Try this on for size.

A Safety Valve

I stepped out the door on my way to work one frosty morning to the
unpleasant surprise of a flat tire on my squareback. I thought about
changing the tire, but decided to fire up Old Snoopy, my camper. It's
nice to have a Plan B available in the driveway.

Snoop hadn't been run in over a month, so I knew it would take a lot of
starter grinding to fill the carburetor bowl. After a lengthy crank,
with no response, I decided to look for a problem in the engine
compartment. When I opened the door I was greeted by smoke, heat and a
bright orange glow like a Saddamized oil well. I really had fired up Old
Snoopy.

The garden hose was only a car length away, how handy. You aren't
supposed to pour water on a gasoline fire, but a fine spray will cool
the fire, and reduce the amount of oxygen, taking away two of the three
elements necessary for combustion. It worked at basic training in the
Navy long before this car was born, it should work again. The hose was
frozen, time for another Plan B, a small fire extinguisher mounted under
the dashboard.

A blast of white powder aimed at the fuel pump put out the fire, or so I
thought. Some burning gas had dripped to the ground and was doing its
best to set everything above it on fire. It took the rest of the powder
to put that out. An anxious look in the engine compartment confirmed my
worst fear; a small parcel of flame surrounded the fuel pump. It was
time to use Plan C. With my hands over my face, I poked my head toward
the base of the fire and blew for all I was worth. A cautious look
between my fingers proved what the backs of my hands told me. The fire
was out.

A quick check of the engine revealed no serious problems, only burned
ignition wiring and some smoke damage. I was lucky, Old Snoopy; my
faithful companion for twenty-one years would live on.

The cause of the fire was a break in the line from the fuel pump to the
carburetor. The fuel supply was limited to what pumped out while
cranking. If the line from the tank had broken, fourteen gallons of gas
would have fed a fire way beyond the capabilities of any portable fire
extinguisher. The cremation of an old friend would have been inevitable.

The idea of a force-fed fire really bothered me. My thoughts centered
about sitting around a campfire with the camper parked a short distance
away. A small leak in the fuel line sends gas vapors slithering across
the ground, below nose level, unnoticed—until they reach the fire. I had
to find a way to prevent such a holocaust.I remembered seeing an
automatic fuel shutoff valve on my neighbor’s motorcycle, a Honda 650
Nighthawk. I wondered if such a valve would work since the Japanese also
use metric threads. It was an easy job to try a test fit, sure enough;
the mounting threads are the same as those on my ‘70 model. A vacuum
line opens the valve; fuel can only flow while the engine is turning.
Opening suction is about one pound per square inch. There is a sump and
a manual three position control, off, on, and reserve. The on position
leaves about a gallon on call at the turn of a handle. With the valve in
any position, you can clean the sump and lose only the fuel in the sump.
The off position can be used as a security feature. No gas—no go.

I found a used valve at a motorcycle salvage yard for $15.00. The part
number for a new Honda unit is 16950-MA6-025; list price is about
$110.00. That's a lot of money for a small part, but it's cheap
insurance against a total loss.

Mounting is a simple process since the valve just threads into the tank.
Place the valve with the handle facing the front of the wheel-well and
it can be reached without crawling under the car. A vacuum line from the
intake manifold to the valve is the only additional installation required.

The fire extinguisher was in my camper by chance. Several years ago I
bought an old fastback for spare parts, the previous owner left the
extinguisher in the trunk. The most logical place to put it was in my
camper. There is plenty of room for a small extinguisher in the engine
compartment, but you can't reach it if there is an engine fire. I
mounted mine under the dash, the least likely place for a fire. There
are now two extinguishers under the dash, on purpose, just in case...

On Sat, 28 Jul 2018 17:02:50 -0700 "c.dreike" <c.dreike at verizon.net

<mailto:ka1dza at verizon.net>>