[T2] defective charging – regulator faulty?

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 19:52:55 PDT 2017

    The '73 T2 at last had disc front brakes and an alternator.  Once those
had been belatedly fitted by the oddly reactionary VW Corp, nothing much of
interest has happened since 😀
     (BTW I recently viewed a '74 with T4 engine  -  so far, so good  -
but an optional *generator ! )*

     Anyhow, my discharge warning light dims but does not go out, even if
revs go to 3-4000 rpm, and comes on bright again down back at idle.  I have
no ammeter but I take this anomalous performance to imply continuous
discharge, so my Spring vacation is delayed.
     Please improve this plan:
1  order new regulator from The Bus Depot
2  when it arrives, remove alternator and swap out its regulator
3  rejoice in return of discharge regime to normal
4  proceed on Spring vacation.

     The Bentley instructions for removing the alternator – implied to
contain the regulator within it –  state no need to drop the engine, tho'
someone did frighten me with that suggestion.

Suggestions welcome !

Robt Mann
'73 1600dp Devon