[T2] Heater controls?

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Tue Nov 28 13:38:27 PST 2017

Hi John,

Sorry for the confusion - I get confused myself..

Heater controls - I'm working on my '78 Westy. The '78 westy has 4 knobs on the dash, as opposed to my '69 singlecab which only has 3.
Under my westy - kind of under the front seats, there is a manifold of some sort. With one large tube from the back - and one going to the front - then two coming out the side. One of these side tubes goes to the back of the bus again, and one goes right up above the manifold. These side tubes basically send heat to the back of the bus.

There are two spring loaded flaps in the manifold. With nothing attached to these - the default is for the heat to come up to the front cab. I believe there is to be another cable that connects here - and when pulled - this deflects some air to the rear of the bus.

I can see the flaps - just not exactly sure how anything could attach to them to divert hot air to the back of the bus. I'm not talking about the flaps at the heater boxes in the back

As for the main tube that runs up to the front of the bus from the heater boxes - I think I'll add some insulation to this.

Can you explain the Vanagon vintage accordion tube swap?

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab