[T2] re-wiring '69 singlecab

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Fri Nov 3 07:30:57 PDT 2017

Well my singlecab which has been a sort of back burner project has been getting a little attention lately. My body shop is nearing completion of the front end replacement, as well as a LOT of other body work.

There are some areas that need some bondo type product - as the labor required to do it correctly it making to too expensive. He doesn't do bondo work. So - he is going to get it to a point where I can drive it home. Then do the bondo work at my garage, then drive it back to him.

Before I put the whole dash back together - I'm wondering about the wiring harness - which is a real mess these days. I've looked into a replacement harness - there are compelte one for $300 or main loom only for $160. I'm not sure the exact difference, and also not sure how hard these are to install. Sounds like it could probably be worth it, but don't know. I was wondering your opinions on these things?

Also - a couple other questions -

  1.  I assume the wiring for a '69 bus would be the same as the wiring for a '69 singlecab?
  2.  As far as the front end goes - I had to change from the lower turn signals of my '69 to the upper turn signals of a later model - so I'm not sure how that is going to affect the wiring as well.
  3.  Lastly - I've added some gauges up front - so I've got wiring for that added to the original existing wiring.
  4.  Is there a way to add intermittent wipers? Is this the time to try to address that?

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab