[T2] sunroof lightweight replacement

Andy McKinley airhedz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 23:17:13 PDT 2017

I have had my sunroof bus long enough to know that the primary cause of
component failures is the weight of the roof. Some of the components on the
bus are the same as the bug (about 1/3 the roof weight).

My sunroof also suffers from rust around the edges which is coming from the
inside, and I know it's just a matter of time.

I am exploring the idea of making a mold of my sunroof and building a
lightweight plastic replacement. I know how it works with FRP, and I live
in a boating mecca, so I would have no problem sourcing this kind of
fabrication work.

Any other ideas as far as materials? Blow mold (little kids always smile
and point at my van. I can only imagine their reaction if there was a big
hunk of blow mold on top of the van, like a camel hump). Are there any
plastic films or panels that might be used? PV film would be an awesome
addition. As far as I can tell, the sunroof is curved in only two
dimensions.

Ideas? Comments?
Andy McKinley

airhedz at gmail.com

Love your country, but never trust its government.
-- Robert A. Heinlein.