[T2] gasket

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Sun Jun 4 04:44:34 PDT 2017

I don’t think it is the original CAT, as it is laser etched.
What should it look like on the inside? I.e. how do you know when it is time to replace your CAT?

The reused gasket lasted less than 100 miles, before it slipped off the CAT. I guess I didn’t torque the bolts tight enough. I will give it another shot tonight – I didn’t think I could torque them any tighter, without breaking the bolts. I may put some RTV high temp stuff on, when I attach it again. – then again, maybe I should take the CAT off, and attach the muffler to it – off the bus, so I can really get a better angle and torque the bolts really good. But I think I’ll wait until I get the new gasket before I bother with that.

-Kevin Guarnotta

’65 Kombi
’69 Singlecab
’78 Westy
Jamaica Plain, MA USA

Subject: Re: gasket

Have you looked through your cat.  If it's original, I doubt it still has it's core intact.  After 40 years, you've probably just got a straight tube.  Replacements on cats now days are not cheap: