[T2] Interesting problem

Dave Gillingham dave at coronado-realty.com
Fri Jul 14 07:45:24 PDT 2017

All-

My ‘73 panel has a ’76 2.0 engine with dual Kadron carbs.  I drive it regularly, but once in a while it will sit for a few days.  The engine and carburation were entirely new about 10 years ago and have been very reliable.  In the last few years, after sitting a few days however, sometimes the right side of the engine is reluctant to run.  IIt is like the bus is angry with me.  t has almost always cleared up (suddenly)after a minute or so, like something was stuck in a jet.    This past week, it was so bad that I pulled the right-side carb, cleaned out the idle and accelerator jets, installed new gaskets and fuel filter and put it back.  That definitely helped, but the engine still wasn’t running quite right at idle.  Long story short, it turns out that one of my spark plugs was starting to fail.  It would spark under load, but not at idle.  I have never run into that problem before, so I thought I would pass it along for what it is worth.

Dave Gillingham
’73 panel van
’71 Westy (being ressurected)