[T2] 1600 engines

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Sun Feb 19 17:40:59 PST 2017

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 8:14 PM, Bob Pratt <ka1dza at verizon.net> wrote:
> I have the opportunity to get a 1600 engine free for the asking. I thought I'd get it and beef it up and install it in Myles.
> Has anyone done this?

yes - the two major issues are the front (front is front) engine tin
(the one the throttle cable goes through and the fuel line runs
through) is bus-specific.  for a doghouse fan shroud, that front tin
is 1 year only (1971 - 68-70 were non-doghouse).   I believe these are
in reproduction now, and if not there are many ways to hack this...but
without it you un-seal your cooling system so you need the right part.

the second is the rear engine mount.  in a beetle, there is no rear
(front is front) mount, the rear of the transaxle carries it.  in a
68-71 bus, the transaxle and engine hang between a front trans mount
and a rear engine mount (the so-called mustache bar).   this bar bolts
to 3 bosses built into the case.

If the beetle engine is built on a universal or type2 case, it will
already have these.  if it's built on a  type3 case, the t3 case needs
to have an adaptor for a dipstick...   (and since it's highly likely
the engine is not original, at this point, any of this is entirely
possible.)   if it's a universal case, it's possible the bosses are
not drilled and tapped, so that would need to be done.

if the case is NOT a t2/t3/universal case, it will need a oil pump
stud adapting bracket - generally speaking, these are not recommended,
since this part of the case was never designed to carry the load of
the trans+engine......  but many people have had what they consider to
be success using it.

A variety of these have existed over the years, here's one:

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5036

this thread on TS has a few pictures of a similar bracket and the
mustache bar installed -

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463315