[T2] handbrake ratchet blade wear

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 22:21:53 PST 2017

     My favourite VW mechanic, in just allowing me a Warrant of Fitness,
pointed out the handbrake ratchet was not holding reliably.  He told me the
ratchet rack (v visible) is engaged by a spring-loaded sharp 'chisel' blade
which must have become seriously worn.  File it, he said.
     The menace of the handbrake flying 'off' was too serious to ignore.
     To get at this part one has to dismantle the handbrake control bracket
 --  not a big job.  In my case the chisel had worn so much we thought it
should be restored by welding on some hard material which could then be
filed back.
     (We used AC arc, with a 'blue' stick.  The metal deposited this way
turns out to be v hard, but still able to be filed.)