[T2] Good News- inspecting/cleaning a gas tank in place.

MUTS muts at verizon.net
Sat Aug 12 17:56:44 PDT 2017

No need to pull the engine- I had a blockage issue on a trip to Ohio
from NJ and limped home blowing air up into tank line using a Tee I
installed on the road to unblock the inlet pipe to filter- large pieces
of a plastic film from a coating a PO had used and peeled off the tank
walls and laid over the outlet pipe.  Once home I did this:  Drain tank.
Cut the wall over the tank level gauge with a dremyl disk and take out
the gauge.  Stick a shop vac line in there to BLOW out the tank with air
and it will evaporate the gas.  Same trick I use to flush out a septic
tank to climb in there (after pumpout) and check/clean the root- blocked
sewer inlet.  Drop a led light into the tank and inspect at night using
a a mirror glued to a wire. I found pieces of this failed coating and
used the vac with a flex propane line taped to vac end. The vac used
extensions so it was at least 20 feet from me.  Flex line wails like a
banshee with air flow, use ear protection!  Sucked up all the pieces,
and have had no problems since.  I kept the the Tee so I could blow up
air in there if needed.

MUTS  = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver oboe, clarinet support
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P
78 VW Westfalia Camper