[T2] type2 website

Old Volks Home oldvolkshome at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 04:31:03 PDT 2017

Hi Kevin and other Listees -

In addition to the AIRS list, you might want to consider signing up for the
VanAlert app for the fruit phones and Androids. While it's gotten very
popular with the Vanagon crowd, there's been a big bunch of Bus owners
signing up for it too.  In addition to having an AIRS type of function it
is jammed packed with a ton of other features, so many I could write a book
here (which I won't).  It was developed by Abel Longoria out of Texas and
can even be used online as well as your phone.  The stolen van function has
proved itself to be worth it's weight in gold most stolen vehicles being
recovered within hours to a few days.

Abel Longoria, while being a Vanagon List member is also found on Facebook
in the various Vanagon groups such as Vanagon Owners Group, Van Cafe Group,
etc.  While being heavily "Vanagon" in it's verbage throughout the app, Bus
owners are welcome to join, so it's not exclusively Vanagon in it's
purpose.  Not all Vanagon owners are stick-in-the-mud snobs (I'm not!) and
most I've found are more than willing to help out a Type 2 owner.  The
biggest reason Abel developed the app is the the Vanagon Rescue Squad app's
owner passed away and was getting long in tooth and Abel took a lot of time
and energy in developing VanAlert to be the successor to it and it sort of
grew into the great app it is now.  This app is in constant progressive
upgrading of it's features.

AND IT'S FREE!

VanAlert link:  http://vanalert.com/

For those wondering where I've been, I'm still out here in semi-lurking
mode.  After 15 years, I left Airhead Parts last year due to a left foot
injury/infection which developed into gangrene and required the amputation
of my left foot toes in January 2016 (No, I am NOT diabetic [yet] because
I've always had a good diet to subsist on). It's been an uphill climb in
recovery with healing, especially in a side effect of both legs suffering
edema swelling which makes walking downright painful and difficult.  But
I'm still able to drive my Westy because it's an automatic as well as my
grocery-getter KIA I bought new in 2004.  Because I'm stuck in a wheelchair
and a walker, I haven't been out there to any of the VW shows for the past
18 months.  I am surviving on Social Security Disability ($1426/mo,) and to
supplement that and thru Paypal. I'm still buying and selling select parts
from my show stock and other stash items advertised on The Samba and
Facebook - I actually get a better response from the Facebook ads.  I can
also special order other quality parts to drop ship as well. Airhead Parts
still sometimes consults with me from time to time. My Oldvolkshome.com
site is still a good go-to for tech advice and soon I will update it with
more tech stuff. So I'm doing good for now.

By all means, do update the AIRS resource.  The more places you can
consult, the better for everyone.

Jim Thompson
84 GL 1.9 "Gloria"
84 Westfalia 2.1 "Ole Putt"
Full Timing From March 1999 To January 2012
oldvolkshome at gmail.com
http://www.oldvolkshome.com
Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/people/Jim-Thompson/100000710343835