[T2] 2nd gear problems

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Thu Aug 10 14:08:33 PDT 2017

Hi Tony,

This has been suggested. I guess I don’t really know what to look for – I was thinking it would be obvious. But based on your description – it could be broken, and I can’t quite see how. I’ve got to travel the next few days, but I’ll take a closer look at the rear shift coupler.

THANKS!

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab
'65 Ez-camper

From: Anthony Hopkins [mailto:tony5amhopkins at yahoo.com]
Subject: Re: [T2] 2nd gear problems

Kevin,
I am not sure if someone mentioned the rear "Shift Coupler" from shift rod to transmission.
That pesky little "Universal joint" looking thing has stumped many Bus owners over time.
Now its the first thing I check when shifting problem arise.
Have someone try to shift as you get under the jacked up with Jack Stands supported bus.
you need to lift the Bus up to see and replace the coupler..Sometimes it is plain to see a bad one.
…..But sometime it will look "OK" but the spot weld will break and it will "Not" turn with the shift rod.
The round collar will move but the coupler attached to trans shaft will not.
I hope this is the problem….kinda tight to get fingers in there to replace..I like the Red rubber version
over the black rubber…the red seems to last longer and is a bit stiffer….
Good luck
Tony