[T2] 2nd gear problems

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Wed Aug 9 05:55:55 PDT 2017

OK- Mr. Grinch ;)

My kids NEED to play in the bus. My wife and I discuss this a bit. She is always worried about the kids breaking something. I worry more about them not enjoying the bus. I want my bus to be a FUN thing for them. They love playing in it, and pretending to drive to Mimi & Papa’s (their grandparents). If they break something, I’ll fix it. It is basically my large toy. I don’t want it to be a museum piece that can’t be touched.

Ok – more important things. As far as warming up the transmission fluid – does that mean driving around for 30 minutes or so, I assume if the bus is just idling in the driveway – the transmission fluid will not really warm up, right?

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

’78 Westy
'69 Singlecab
'65 Ez-camper

From: Robert Mann [mailto:robtmann7 at gmail.com]
Subject: Re: [T2] 2nd gear problems

Kev, sorry to grinch on y', but you shouldn't let little children play with any of the controls on your vehicle.

As for your gear-shift problem, I reiterate my surprising discovery.  If you don't know whether the transmission oil has been changed in, say, the last couple decades or 50,000 mi, at the end of a run when that oil is warm so that it'll bring out sludge suspended, drain the trans and slap in one of the oils as recently recommended on this list.

Robt Mann
'73 1600dp Devon