[T2] link to Amsoil ASTM-D130 tests of gear oils safe for yellow metal synchros

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Tue Nov 22 09:28:08 PST 2016

On Mon, Nov 21, 2016 at 9:37 PM, John Kolak <jkolak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Last I heard, the gear oil question is obsolete because all modern
> gear oils are now yellow metal friendly.

not really - even in the new Mini world (2002+) we deal with it, some
of the transaxles only take gl4 - the gl5 additives will do the usual
(some of the bmws, too, come to think of it, but I mostly dont work on
those).   Some of the synthetics are safe, but the dyno gl5's are just
as bad as they've always been.