[T2] Rust, Noise, Heat

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Tue Nov 8 06:27:24 PST 2016

Hi Bob,

I did a lot of work on my '65 in this vein. It helped, but the thing is still loud when driving.

I did the following after getting a lot of body work done and re-painting.

I put some sound dampening pads on the inside - the heavy mass loaded vinyl. I'm sure I did more than was necessary. This is the stuff that is like peel and stick. It adds mass to the metal, and absorbs impact sounds. I.e. - when you hit the metal, it makes a thunk, and stops vibrating. Without this, when you hit the metal is makes more of a high pitch sound, and keeps vibrating.

I then used some spray mount stuff to attach some of the heavy foam stuff. I then added R - foil, this was attached with tape. This is supposed to help with insulation.

Overall it is better, would I do it again - probably. It is kind of fun. It is a whole bunch of work - that is pretty much never seen, and you hope never heard.

I talked to one of the spray foam companies I worked with about spray foam on the inside of my bus. They would do it. They said they do it to some of their trucks. I also talked to a body shop guy about it - he said it is fine - but if you ever need to do body work, it is a nightmare. I wonder if you somehow could squeeze a heavy duty garbage bag (Husky contractor bag) into the voids, then spray the foam into that. That way you have kept the foam from sticking to the metal.

I also insulated the tube running from the back to the front, the one that carries the hot air. I have a gas heater installed - which seems to work intermittently. After all the work - I don't really drive that one anymore, so I never bothered trying to trouble shoot the gas heater issue. I've got photos somewhere if you want to see them.

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab