[T2] @&^%$$ oil leak still there after engine pull/install

MUTS muts at verizon.net
Wed Nov 2 19:47:25 PDT 2016

A year ago I dropped daughter's 75 bus FI engine to replace a worn
clutch that was slipping.  flywheel seals were replaced.  After install,
there was an oil leak noticed after 6 mi of driving.  Too busy to deal
with it; about 2 weeks ago I dropped engine with trans and did notice
oil on throwout bearing (gets from seal down the plastic tube) and
replaced the transhaft seal.  A little puddle at the bottom, but it sat
nearly a year.  Changed the FI hose including injector hoses.  Found why
hard starting; cold start valve not working; wire in harness near
starter had worn through due to rubbing of harness holder tab.  Pulled
the clutch and all was dry; the big seal looked clean and intact; I
replaced the o ring in the flywheel,  and had a fun time trying to line
up the trans mounts (had to pull starter to see the bolts.)  Got engine
purring after 20 min of pumping up the hydraulic lifters that had been
installed after a rod bearing/head work.  But 2 oil leaks were seen
after warm up- trans oil leaked out from near nose cone- I had cleaned
the vent and topped up oil.  I cleaned it up to see where it starts and
ran the engine, but leak stopped! A cup or so of oil leaked out- maybe
from pressure of frothing oil?  Checked level and finger feel shows
maybe 1/2" low?  Very odd.
    The engine oil leak showed oil as high as the starter weeping from
the trans/engine junction, it seemed to froth out as if under pressure?
In 1/2 hr of running, I'd say less tha a a cup leaked out.  I dropped it
today and pulled the clutch/flywheel, and clutch and front of flywheel
were clean, pulling off flywheel showed oil running over the seal bottom
as if really puddled behind it, and oil was on wall and and  flywheel
teeth.  I could easily push the orange seal edge down to wipe the oil
out- shouldn't that have a spring behind it and be stiff?  Could this be
a high oil pressure issue?   Shouldn't pressure drop after warmup?  I
thought of a crack, wiped case carefully, but did not see anything.
Aaargh, this is time wasting; I gotta split firewood!
I will change the seals after ordering them.
--
MUTS  = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver oboe, clarinet support
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P