[T2] Door leaks

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Mon Mar 28 12:37:28 MST 2016

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Bob Pratt <ka1dza at verizon.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Every time it rains I get water on the floor next to the front right seat of my '71 bus. Is this caused by bad door gaskets or leaking rain gutters?

Rain gutters dont leak - unless you've got rust holes in the roof.  :)

So door seals (or door not closing/adjusted right), window seals, vent seals...

> Is replacing the windshield gasket as a pita was the beetle?

Unless beetle==super beetle, it's worse, since it's curved and
something like twice the size. :)

It's a solid 2 man job for a non-pro, and it's worth having it done by
a pro (supply your own quality gasket, though).   I've cracked about
50% of the ones I've done.

That said - new rubber only fixes a windshield leak for a little
while.  And then only if it's not rusty under there...and it always
is.     An additional sealant (some folks love roofing tar.  myself,
I'm skilled with a tube of silicone and found it easy enough to work a
good bead under the lip after install...) is usually desirable.   A
glass guy who handles a lot of classic cars may have some suggestions.

If there's rust - holes or otherwise - you need to repair, treat, and
finish that before the glass goes back in though.

...david