[T2] Stainless bolts for dropgates

Kevin Guarnotta kevin at guarnottadesign.com
Mon Mar 21 07:04:36 MST 2016

Thanks. I don't know about stainless accepting paint. I was thinking of painting the gates, powder coating the latching hardware, and leaving the bolts stainless. If you paint the bolts - and then go to unscrew the bolt - the paint around it will flake off. If I paint first, then put it together -the right parts will be painted, everything but the screws. That is why I'd use SS screws. McMaster has the screws for about $8 for 25. That should be enough for all the gates. The original bolts did last 40+ years, I am just thinking of not painting the bolts.

Overall - I'm thinking painting the body and the gates - possibly a two-tone (like it is now, but different colors). Powdercoating the gate hardware - as that gets banged over and over when you latch it. The paint was sort of chipped off there - oddly enough that latch hardware feels like cast iron or something - and for some reason it does not really rust?

-Kevin Guarnotta
Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy
'69 Singlecab