[T2] [Q] Running the gas tank dry...

david raistrick keen at icantclick.org
Mon Jan 25 09:59:10 MST 2016

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:31 AM, David C Matthews <dcm7293 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, the plan is to run a gallon or so of non-ethanol gas from the tank
> through the fuel line and into a bucket. Next, replace the fuel filter and
> call the corrective action done.

yeah, fuel has junk in it regardless of the tank.  and the fuel
filters generally available for our uprights suck.   and even a sealed
tank can release rust because 100% coverage is never really possible.

and all that junk sits at the bottom of the tank....waiting to get
sucked through.

you'll probably want to clean the carb, lots of small passages get
filled with the crap.  that's the source of the running rough and
won't go away on it's own generally.

As for the non-ethanol gas into a bucket...what do you expect that do
different from any other fuel?    If nothing else, ethanol gas is
-better- at pulling the crap and water out of the tank (which is why
we have so many problems these days).....