[T2] Aux Battery

MUTS muts at verizon.net
Sun Feb 28 11:51:41 MST 2016

I have a class B Roadtrek- they use an isolator that sends current only
after starting and when alternator is running current through 50 amp
breaker fuses to the spare battery over wire nearly as thick as the
battery wire. . I saw them even in a napa store for about $50.  Mine
broke (would not let battery charge) and I put in a $6 battery switch
that manually lets me hook both batteries together when driving and can
separate them when parked.
The Hella relay sold for the Westfalia with about a 4 amp electric
fridge has a small wire that does not allow a lot of charging current to
pass, so it takes longer for a recharge which may not be enough time for
weekend camping.  The external charger (use at home or in campground)
should be a smart charger, so it automatically tapers the charge not to
overcharge (causing gas release) or undercharge (must be over 14v and
step down to allow a resting voltage of 12.7 volts.  I'd get a 35-45 amp
charger for a single wet cell battery of about 90 amp hours; Trojan is
very good.
MUTS  = Michael's Ultimate Thumb Saver oboe, clarinet support
93 Chevy Roadtrek 210P
78 VW Westfalia Camper