[T2] A/F ratio measurement

Sami Dakhlia sami.dakhlia at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 23:50:18 PDT 2016

Hi everybody,

Chris beat me to it. Today was a glorious day! Thanks to Chris, we
were able to find out that my year-long automotive hyperchondria was
misplaced. When I left his home and drove back to Topanga, I actually
had a wide grin on my face, fearlessly pushing the accelerator pedal
to the floor. The CHT gauge did not give useful readings, the sender
not being in positive contact with the head; it read about 280 F. Oil
temp readings were about 220 F. Climbed up to 240-250 F as I climbed
the Topanga's Fernwood with up to 21 degree incline in 1st gear.

Chris wondered about pre- or post-cat O2 sender placement. I don't
know enough about the chemistry of catalytic converters to respond,
but found this potentially informative link:
http://www.dtec.net.au/Lambda%20Testing%20Pre%20Vs%20Post%20Converter.htm
Their conclusions are, quote:
- When engine conditions are stable there was no noticeable
(significant) difference in readings before and after the catalyst.
- When mixtures were altered rapidly or/and conditions changed there
was a delay until the post reading stabilised.

I'm going to post this finding on the previous thread, for proper
closure. Bottom line, the '75 FI system designed for a 1.8-liter
engine can adequately cope with a 2-liter engine, i.e., not cause a
lean-running condition at WOT.

Cheers,
Sami