[T2] Power loss in 4th

John Rogers arathorn.rogers at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 15:10:40 MST 2015

I am still convinced until proven otherwise that this is a case of
pre-ignition. It has all the symptoms -- starts fine, runs OK until warm,
then loss of power. Pre-ignition usually occurs in two ways -- one, an
extremely hot engine, i.e. valves glowing red hot, etc, or, two, carbon
buildup that begins to glow enough to pre-ignite the fuel mixture after the
engine is warm. This results in at least one cylinder fighting against the
rest of the engine, robbing it of power. The fuel starvation theory  imho
doesn't hold water. With a carbureted engine you have fuel in the bowl or
you don't. That the level in the bowl would be so low that just wispy drops
are sucked  through the jet is hard to imagine. And if this were to be the
case the engine would stutter rather than run with less power, as anyone
who has run out of gas knows. I would start by looking at the plugs. If
there is carbon buildup it will show on the plugs and it may just be
possible cleaning and reinstalling them might fix the problem. High test
gas is also less prone to pre-ignition.