[T2] Power loss in 4th

jules jules.herr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 14:25:46 MST 2015

If the bus is mechanically sound this issue is either environmental or
behavioral.

Oil temp/pressure won't give you a good reading on head temps - they are
good for trending the overall engine temp but you're clearly overheating at
your heads (as evident from the stretching valves/sinking seat) - the heads
can heat up to dangerous temps before that increase is reflected in higher
oil temps.

If you're trying to drive up hills in 4th under 3000 RPM you're lugging
your engine - and that will cause overheating, doubt you'll find much
argument there. Also the 1600sp is a small engine for a heavy bus. How fast
are you driving on those long highway runs? Maybe you just need to slow
down a bit - drag increases pretty rapidly after 55mph - and that little
engine is working really hard in 4th going up the hill with all that wind
resistance, etc... power loss can be a symptom of overheated engine...
anyway, that's all I have to offer on the subject based on personal
experiences. Couldn't hurt to try changing behavior a bit and see what
happens...

i can say without a doubt that the [permanant] damage i've personally done
to aircooled engines was by my own behavior which caused resulting
mechanical failure -  not by pure mechanical failures alone. If you're
overheating at your heads and continue to drive in the same manner without
changing _something_ you _will_ eventually drop one of those valves into
the #3 combustion chamber... sorry not trying to be negative - just trying
to alert you of impending failure (ask me how I know) so that you may
change course before it's too late

jules
'75, '78 westies
troy NY