[T2] drivin' drivin' drivin'

Avocado Tom Tarka avocadotom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:22:14 MST 2015

It's been a while, so I thought I'd share a story with y'all..

My '71 has become my daily driver: 19 year-old hit me, totaling my Honda in
October; driveshaft dropped out of my F-150 Monday in the -2degF weather
(pulling it out of the driveway to pull the bus in, incidentally), which
leaves me - at least temporarily - driving the bus.

That said, I haven't been too concerned with that state of affairs. The '71
has been running like a champ, starts in all weather, and one season of
salt - while not good - won't kill it, I don't expect.  There have been
trials along the way, with the clutch cable finally popping a couple of
months ago (it had been frayed for a long time), a leaky louvered window, a
door that wouldn't shut in the abject cold, and now a broken sliding door
(broken by the shop that fixed the louvered window: I won't be going back
again).  But it's gotten me to work when I've driven it there, and that's
made me happy.

So today I left work early so I could come home and spent some time tuning
things up: fixing the door (maybe), working on the interior, topping off
the oil, etc. All stuff that I've been meaning to do, but which has fallen
off my plate due to other affairs, or it just being too damn cold to work
in the garage.

About two miles into my 9 mile trip, I lost all power.  Turned the ignition
off and back on, threw it in gear to pop-start it: nothing.  Pulled into
the next driveway - just barely making it - and proceeded with the
debugging process.

Visual inspection: Everything looks good at first blush.

Wire connected to the fuel cut-off solenoid? (a problem in the past, and
first check)  Loose.  Tightened it.

Try to start again....No go.

Power to the coil?  Check.
Fuel cut-off actuates when removed? Check.

Turn over engine by hand to verify spark is happening?  No audible click
when we hit TDC.  Is this my problem?

Pull the cap and turn the engine over.  Are the points opening?  Yup.

Connect multi-meter to condenser side of the coil, and turn over engine:
 voltage stays hot at 12V.

Seems like I found my problem!  But what is it?

Swap in a fresh coil: no change in behavior.

Solution: assume that it's a problem with the condenser or the
distributor.  Swap in spare 009 distributor, time it, and she starts right
up.  Drive home, have dinner, and get warm before heading to the garage for
more work. :-)

Oh, classic VWs!  The only car you can fix on your work commute!

Hope this finds you all well!

Cheers,
   Avocado Tom
   '71 Hardtop Camper
   '67 Freedom Camper (in the shop)
   '72 Porsche 914 - awaiting TLC and attention

---
  "We are MoTown.  We are professionals.  We're here to get the job done."