[T2] why won't it start

Greg Potts greg at pottsfamily.ca
Thu Jun 18 12:16:38 MST 2015

Hi Bob,

You've been at this so long I don't remember if you've stated this
already or not... so I'll ask:

Have you checked the compression?

Back in 2007 I rebuilt a 914/411 1.7L after I blew the rings off it on
the highway. I followed the VW service bulletin and deleted the head
gaskets on reassembly. Installed the engine and it would not fire,
despite having gas and spark. Checked compression and discovered it was
a mere 30 PSI on all four cylinders. Apparently when VWoC had rebuilt my
engine they had flycut the heads to the point where the head gasket was
mandatory, which was news to me. I pulled it all apart and put the
gaskets in place and compression was back at 125 where it's supposed to be.

Just another suggestion, hope it helps somehow.

Happy Trails,

Greg Potts
Toronto, Ontario Canada
197x Westfakia "Bob the Tomato"