[T2] '71 VW bus

Brad Spear mnexplorer at comcast.net
Sun Jan 11 14:00:01 MST 2015

Are you getting power to the coil?

Brad Spear
'72 Westy
Richfield,  MN

>I pulled all of the spark plugs and squirted a shot of WD40 into
>each cylinder and turned it over. I then hooked a spark plug wire to
>one of the plugs and had my granddaughter crank the engine over. No
>spark.
>
>Starting with most logical things first, should I look at the points first?

Yes that is a prime prospect.
But many other parts of the ignition system can be faulty.
For example, the lining of that socket in the middle of the
distributor cap can become so corroded that it will no longer conduct
sufficiently.  Scrape it out with a rat-tail file or similar  ...

Once you get yr motor runnin', even before you head out on
the hahway, do invest in a spray or several of Throttle Body Cleaner.
Varnish or other muck in the carb can cruel your runnin', and as I
recently reported this type of spray can work wonders, very easily.

Good luck

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand