[T2] Crankshaft Endplay Shims: Do They Wear?

Roger Lemberg phroggie at ieee.org
Sun Jan 11 08:21:36 MST 2015

Yeah, this is probably a question for Captain Obvious but should I expect to see the thickness of the crankshaft endplay adjusting shims reduced after they’ve been in the engine for awhile?

The ones in my engine don’t correlate to the standard sizes and I at first attributed it to poor measuring. Then it occurred to me that positioned between the static crankcase bearing and the rotating flange on the flywheel with just 0.07mm to share among four gaps that they may be subject to, idunno, some wear?

So have they thinned out a little or can’t I be trusted to make a simple measurement?

Peace

Phroggie and Phrogbus
(70 Sportsmobile Conversion)