[T2] new-fangled stuff can work

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:04:47 MST 2015

Happy New Year Volks
	                  I can report very good
results from a new-fangled spray I'd never heard
of.
	My 1600dp with Brazilian 'Weber' carb has
been faltering in a very big way between 1/8 &
3/4 throttle, as if a jet is blocked.  It had
become a trial, even a danger, at every slow
intersection by refusing to supply fuel over most
of the accelerator-pedal range, often stalling.
The carb was expensively rebuilt not many miles
ago, and so I have been reluctant to take the
carb off and clean it again.  I therefore gambled
$7 at Don's Emporium on a 12-oz aerosol can of
Valspar® Renew throttle body cleaner (contains
mainly acetone but also heptane & carbon dioxide).
	The mfr's claims are precisely:
		Quickly removes deposits and
carbon build up from throttle bodies,
carburetors, chokes and choke linkage.

   Could not have been easier:
1  warm up engine
2  lift air-cleaner nozzle off top of carb
3  rev engine to 3000 - 4000 rpm
4  spray Renew down carb intake
	The engine promptly quits firing, so you
quit spraying within a second to allow the engine
to rev up anew.
	Result: drive off suavely without hesitation let alone stalling.
	Repeat after a mile or so, to make sure
you've done as much as Renew can do; then replace
air filter nozzle on carb.  Drive off
ultra-suavely, crooning 'nothing can stop us now,
'cause we're the Dukes of Earl'.

	I vaguely infer some varnish or other
soluble deposit had blocked a jet.  (I have never
understood Solex or Weber i.e fixed-jet carbs; I
claim at most a partial understanding of
throttle-slide carbs e.g  Amal.)

	I know nothing of, let alone having any
investment in, Valspar Inc.  And I can have no
opinion whatever on any rival 'throttle body
cleaner'; indeed I've never heard of such
mixtures.  All I can say is, my bus is now going
like new.  Even if I hadn't scored a special
bargain $7 from Unca Donald, this cleaner spray
would be a bargain compared with dismantling the
carb.
	I can't imagine any harm from this stuff.

	I do suddenly see some glimmer of truth
in the slogan "the lazy way can be the best".

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand