[T2] Spark from distributor to plug wires

Max Bronsema max.bronsema at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:09:35 MST 2015

Hi everyone,

My bus has had a spate of minor equipment failures, new coil 3 months ago,
new fuel pump 3 weeks ago, and now with it driving fine for 3 weeks, last
night my wife wanting tried to put it in the garage but it wouldn't fire. I
t sounded like it wanted to go, but no luck.

I put the battery on a charger overnight and went to bed. I took this
morning off from work so I could work with a bit of daylight and most
everything checks out, I have fuel, I have power at the coil, there is
spark from the coil, the "points" open and close, I run a pertronix
ignitor. The only thing I couldn't verify works is spark from the
distributor to the plug wires. I had the key on and was turning the engine
over by hand.

I put a new Bosch 03010 rotor and 04-033 rotor on but still no luck. This
is a SVDA from aircooled.net. I have ran it for five years now with no
trouble. I would lean towards swapping in points, but the pertronix does
seem to be open and closing with the standard test light hooked to the +
side of the coil and grounded while you turn the engine over by hand.

I am sure this is something simple, tonight I am having some friends over
to help push KK, my bus, into the garage so I can work on it there with a
full tune-up, but it seems really odd that it ran perfect the day before,
and now it won't start.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas,

Max
"KK-Louise" '71 Westy with 1600dp, SVDA, pertronix, and alternator.