[T2] Oil weight

Jim Denton 2thingswild at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 12:37:08 MST 2015

A 50wt oil is almost twice as thick by the numbers at 212*F than a 30wt
oil.  Review the chart below, even though the lines seem to merge on the
graph the chart under the graph shows that the 50wt @212*F has a viscosity
of 19 sCt verses 10 sCt for 30wt.  The 50wt will need to be heated to
around 240*F before its viscosity will drop to 10 sCt. Yes by the time
engine oil reaches 300*F there is very little variation from one oil to the
next, as they are all very thin.

FWIW these days I run 5w-40 Mobile 1 in all my engines VW and otherwise
unless the engine is pretty ratty. No qualms with a 15w50 or 20w50
synthetic if you really need it.