[T2] Oil weight

Jim Denton 2thingswild at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 03:36:54 MST 2015

The VW oil cooling system is designed to allow the oil to get hotter and
hotter until the viscosity is lowered to where the engine wants it.  Trying
to get the oil pressure to go up higher than needed can lead to the oil
running very hot because the oil is being bypassed around the cooler.  If
the oil light doesn't come on at hot idle or only flickers a bit when the
engine is idled after a long high speed run on the interstate then the oil
pressure is good enough. An engine that will run 200*F oil temperatures on
the highway with 10w30 oil may run 240*F when running a 50wt oil.