[T2] CHT with Dakota gauge

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 23:55:50 MST 2015

	Chris Slaymaker, who has like me the 1600dp engine, reported :
" 380 degrees Fahrenheit for cylinder head temp (CHT) on the flat. "

	The single-plug analogue Westberg CHT on
my 1600 dp in coolish weather but not near
freezing typically shows, with water-injection,
CHT 300 °F quiet town cruising -  350 °F fast
hill-climbing (without water, 50° - 70 °F higher).
	But I have reason to believe my gauge has
been damaged in such a way as to suppress the
zero, so I do not advance these figures as
reliable for direct comparison with other gauges,
let alone provide a 'standard' range of CHT.

Sami featured:
>  I'll pull the
engine anyway to JBweld the thermocouple close to the plug.

	Isn't the circular end of the
thermocouple lead meant to substitute for the
spark-plug washer?
	But anyhow, what is so sacrosanct about
that position down the plug 'ole (with or without
the original washer) for the thermocouple
heat-pickup?  In mine, the actual thermocouple is
not in that circle but immediately adjoined, i.e
a small way up the hole.
	Why not tap a hole in the head near the
#3 spark plug and bolt the thermocouple on with
that?  A small insulating cap over it would make
its T nearer to that in the plug 'ole, but I
doubt the difference is much; and as usual, the
main significance of that gauge is to follow
trends.  If this approach is OK, pulling the
engine should not be necessary.

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand