[T2] CHT with Dakota gauge

Sami Dakhlia sami.dakhlia at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:35:16 MST 2015

hi Volks,
Installed a Dakota Digital cylinder head temp gauge (hat tip to R. Atwell)
and took off this morning on a trip from the Bay Area to Santa Barbara.
Holy $h!t! The readings are much higher than I thought was the norm.
Basically cruising at 55 mph, with slight help from a gentle
northern breeze and it reads about 435 F, +/- 15F depending on work. On a
long incline, it hit 466 F. Oil temp is fine. Was about 220 F in the
morning and climbed with ambient temperature to 240 at 1pm. Cooling flaps
are in place and hooked up to working thermostat. The VDO gauge (worthless
as it may have been in hindsight) I had 20 years ago gave a pretty steady
reading of 350F with very little variation.
In San Luis Obispo right now, will stay at El Capitan campground near Santa
Barbara tonight. May use the opportunity to check timing etc., although I'm
pretty sure it's dead on. Engine has been running great; the stupid gauge
just keeps me from enjoying the drive :)
If anybody has a similar setup, would love to hear back from you!
Cheers,
Sami
Type2.com/dakhlia