[T2] Engine intermittently turns off while coming to a stop

Richard F Coombs rfcoombs at syr.edu
Thu Sep 4 05:21:49 MST 2014

Max,

When you started the engine with the brake pedal depressed, did the brake pedal soften up a bit, drop a little, & then hold solid at that lower pedal height? This is normal operation for a vacuum-assisted power brake system. Also, if your check valve is good, you should have enough stored vacuum that you can shut the engine off & pump the brakes at least twice before the assist goes away, and the pedal gets rock-hard again. This is a safety feature.

Richard

'71 hippie Bus "Putt-Putt"
'71 homebrew camper "Sugar Magnolia"
my71vwbusputt-putt at blogspot.com