[T2] Engine intermittently turns off while coming to a stop

Robert Mann robtmann7 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 17:08:38 MST 2014

Max Bronsema
>will start checking the vacuum lines and eventually the booster if
>need be. Thank you
>for the complete procedures to follow. I'll report back anything I find
>that is of interest.

	A moral of this thread may be, don't avoid the unboosted T2
which properly maintained works fine and evades the difficulties
which are emerging in the vac boost gear.
	 I can see the vacuum brake-boost is difficult and
potentially expensive.  I just keep remarking on the brief 'window of
opportunity' in the early 1970s e.g my '73  -  at long last the
heaviest type made by VW gets disc brakes where they've been so
sorely needed, on the front wheels; and in the initial version there
is no assist.  I'm only 80 kg and can all too readily lock the rear
wheels when braking, and the unboosted performance strikes me as
good, with pedal pressure I can readily muster.
	Nobody is saying the boosted brakes are OK when the boost is
not working.  Whether the vac-boost paraphernalia can be dispensed
with, reverting to something like the 'golden era of simplicity'
enjoyed by us '73 unboosteds, I doubt.  So Max and the majority will
continue to teach how to repair this core safety system (on those
vehicles that have them).

--
Robt Mann
Whangaparaoa, New Zealand