[T2] Rear Wheel Bearings

Michael Howe dedhammike at gmail.com
Tue May 27 07:01:52 MST 2014

Any suggestions on rear outer wheel bearings for my 73 bus?  I installed
new inner and outer bearings on both rear wheels from Bus Depot.  The
bearings that I received were PEX brand labeled from Germany.  When the
outer was  pressed in, center race tightened up so tight that I could
barely get it back out.  Ran bearings for less than 1000 miles and they
failed.

Bus depot was great about sending out a new set of bearings, but after
reading many negative posts on The Samba about PEX bearings, I'm starting
to worry.  I'm waiting for my bearings to show but have been looking for
alternative bearings.

In my area, I can order:

 BCA Federal Mogul RW111

Altrom (FAG???) 211501283D

IMC (Febi???)

Figured that I would press the new bearing in and see if it binds, but
looking for what to do next if this one binds too.  Not a job that I want
to do too many times.

Thanks for any input
--
Mike Howe