[T2] Weld repair of caes

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 10:01:56 MST 2014

Used to be a common repair Bob, many of the classic places would do it, and would even plate over the area for extra strength (I'm taking you mean front as in toward front of the car, which on most modern replacement cases is now a thick near solid area between what used to be the webbing there) and do the deep stud modification if an early case without.  But it is frought with the usual problems of all T1 case repairs, being it is hard in a long term to get it to work, particularly with increased performance motors, as they will re-crack right beside the weld.  And it takes a guy who has done a lot of VW Mg based cases to know how to do it right period.

Would I have it done todays world, only to save a case that mattered (numbers matching) and only built to stock.  Otherwise I'd find a good uncracked case and have it plated.  The local guy in WV back in the day, would have a shelf of cases so modified, with case savers, and bored, and we'd just go pick one off the shelf for $200 (1990s, $$) and he would give you all of a whopping $10 for a core that was cracked, and $40 for one that wasn't.  That was when a new factory SA case was running about $400, so for an on the cheap built up to mild dimensions it was cost effective.

John