[T2] Type 4 motor timing (Richard J)

Martin Strandgard mnstra at unimelb.edu.au
Wed May 7 05:33:23 MST 2014

>As for the timing, Im confused on how to set it.  I have a stardard timing light that isnt adjustable.  So Im not sure how to set the timing 28 degrees(that Martin suggested).  Could you explain the process to me alittle more.

First I would check to see what your timing is now. I assume you have a readable timing scale? The next problem will be seeing the timing mark on the pulley. Some kindly PO had painted the mark with white paint on mine which makes it very easy to see when doing the timing (hint, hint!). If you don't know where the timing mark is, here is an article on how to find it:

http://ratwell.com/technical/FindTimingMark.html

Once you know where the timing mark is, you need to remove and block the vacuum connection to the distributor (the carb side). Then join your timing light to number 1 cylinder and start the engine. Point the timing light at the timing scale and it should be around 7.5 deg at idle. Then rev the engine until there is no more advance. It should be at 28 deg. If it is not, you need to stop the engine and loosen the clamp at the base of the distributor. IIRC it is a 10mm nut. You only want to loosen it enough to just turn the distributor. That reduces the chance of it "self adjusting" when you tighten it back up! I can never remember which way to turn it to advance or retard the timing, but a small test turn of the distributor will tell. Once you have got it to 28 deg, retighten the clamp nut and retest the advance. Hopefully it will still be at 28 deg. Once you are happy it is at 28 deg, reconnect the vacuum advance and see if you get another 10 deg or so of advance at full advance.

Martin.