[T2] Type 4 timing

Richard J richardhjack at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 17:33:47 MST 2014

I am trying to stay optimistic, that I havent burned this motor up.  Im not a newby to this stuff, but I am not as eductated about a type 4 motor.
I would say my problems began after I adjusted the valves.  When I did adjust them I found that all the exhaust valves were alittle tight.  No gap.
So maybe I screwed up with the adjustment.  I also, I now believe that my distributor is worn, so I'll be replacing that.  I guess go back with a single advance unit.  Defiently not a 009.
I have always been concerned that my bus might be running lean, but I really dont know how to check that.  Havent touched the carbs and really wouldnt know how I got it right?  I will pull the plugs and let you guys know what I see, color wise, and see what you guys think.   (still, fingers crossed that I didn't burn this engine up)

I do have all the tin in place and the seal is in great shape.  I keep the decklid closed so it is pulling in cool air.

The bus does start and run fine now, but thats not me running it on the highway for long distances.

I will absolutely order some guages and get them on the bus.  Ive guess Ive been lucky for the last 20yrs Ive had busses, Ive never had anything but a tach.  I think it's time I changed my ways.  Lesson learned.  I guess, cylinder head temp, oil temp, oil pressure and a tach, should give me all the info I need?  Ive read different posts on the samba about how and where to mount the sensor for the cylinder head temp sensor.  Some are saying the ring under the #3 plug isn't good.  What are your guys doing?

As for the timing, Im confused on how to set it.  I have a stardard timing light that isnt adjustable.  So Im not sure how to set the timing 28 degrees(that Martin suggested).  Could you explain the process to me alittle more.

Thanks for the help guys.  I love this list.

Update:  found points barely had any gap.  Advancing plate gummed up and hardly moving.  I've since had the distributor rebuilt and electronic ignition installed.  Next Ill install the distributor, and see where I stand.

Richard Jack
1974 Westy
Lubbock, Texas