[T2] Undercoating Removal Tip

Kevin Guarnotta kguarnotta at usa.net
Sun Mar 30 13:39:03 MST 2014

When I stripped the underside of my '65 I lifted it up as much as I could,
then got under there with a sand blaster. I sandblasted the whole underside,
then used Master Series silver and then flat black paint. The stuff was so
toxic it ate through the cup I was using to hold it. I think it is basically
crazy glue paint.

I did this in two parts, it all still looks pretty good.

I got some stuff called Rust-Veto last summer, but have still not applied
it. It is a waxy sort of substance, you spray it on with a pump sprayer. I
did not like the idea of any heavy sort of undercoating, as I was worried
about trapping moisture. This Rust Veto is supposedly much lighter, but you
need to re-applly every few years. The good thing, if you ever need to do
work on the body near it - it washes off with mineral spirits.

Anyway - like I said, I have not actually used it yet, but it sounds great.
I'll try to get to it this summer, and let everyone know how it goes.

-Kevin Guarnotta

Jamaica Plain, MA

'78 Westy

'69 Singlecab