[T2] Undercoating removal tip

David Kelly volknstein at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 18:32:00 MST 2014

I did it the hard way. I used a hammer and a flat screw driver. I chipped it away with that. I had already removed all of the suspension parts, the engine and the trans. I had thought that undercoating caused the rust problems like you mentioned, but I discovered the opposite. Where there was undercoating, there was bright beautiful paint underneath, even under the loose undercoating. I did find that people have the bad habit of spraying undercoating over rust to hide it before they sell the vehicle. Undercoating is very oily to start with, which is great for rust prevention.  I'm using POR15 chassis black to repaint the underside of my bus and then I'm using plain ole undercoating in the wheel wells over that. I am going to contact POR15 before spraying undercoating over their product first to make sure they play well together.

Also, Eastwood makes a zinc based product in a spray can that is made to go inside body cavities and hollow frames. It is a internal frame coating. It comes with a 2 foot straw that sprays in all directions at the tip. Insert the straw in a hole in the frame, pull the Trigger while slowly pulling out the straw. It is suppose to neutralize existing rust and prevent new rust. Cool stuff. I'm definitely doing this.

David Kelly

Sent from my iPhone