[T2] Undercoating removal tip

Joe Average joeaverage at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 24 14:35:19 MST 2014

A million years ago I powder coated the wheels. We had a local shop that
would batches of one color quite economically. Shop is gone now.

The good wheels still look good, one has cracked "paint" now, and one
has rust trails b/c the powder didn't coat the gap between the center of
the wheel and the rim of the wheel. The sandblaster got in there though. ;)

If you go the powdercoating route, you ought to caulk that gap between
the hub and rim.

Honestly - I'd go with some sort of urethane fleet paint next time. I'd
probably brush paint that gap and then spray the rest of the wheel.
Since there is an investment of time and money (paint) I'd remove the
wheel entirely, sandblast the wheels inside and out, and spray them
inside and out. Other paints are good too but in my exterience the one
part fleet urethane is pretty tough and looks great. Got an old lazy
susan laying around? Makes spinning the wheels while you paint easier.

I've also used acrylic enamel (cheaper) and tractor implement paint
(cheaper yet) on old car projects. Both are still tough but maybe not as
tough as the more expensive paint.

As usual with paint, I figure the prep is where the work and results are.

What's your thoughts?

Chris in TN