[T2] Replacing pushrod seals

John Anderson wvukidsdoc at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 11:31:24 MST 2014

Scott, there is quite a few write ups, by me, and others on type2.  My words are I think under my lifter adjustement article, but there are many.

In short, I don't use sealant, ever.  It will just leak later.  O-rings work by a known calculated compression between the two lands, they only work as designed if they can move, if you goop them up with a solid they don't move.  It helps for a while, but eventually they leak again.

There are 2 things to note here.  Nothing will ever stop leaks from increased blow-by, or mechanical wear of mating parts, and with time that is going to be an issue.  Again sealant will seal them for a while, but a while only.

Next to note and I don't recall when anymore (and this presumes original engine) there was a subtle change in the push rod tubes, and the bore dimensions, somewhere in there, perhaps 1700 to 1800, I don't recall.  Earlier was ever so slightly smaller, but eventually all got superceded by the same parts.  But small tubes in later holes will leak easier, and were a possibility for some time as a stash of early tubes were found/sold NOS some time in the late 90s.

Also the tube land itself wears a bit causing the O-ring to loose some compression as well.  But generally speaking new Viton rings, installed with oil, with scrupulously clean mating surfaces will last a long, long, time if blowby isn't bad, and if the bores in the case and head haven't been gouged by some hapless idiot.

John