[T2] Rear bearings

Richard Jack richardhjack at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 16:06:43 MST 2014

Glad to see activity from the list!

I tried to replace my rear bearing this past weekend.  Can we all say epic fail.

I've done this job, once, 20yrs ago.

Got the old ones out, but boogered up the housing, not bad, getting the outer bearing out. I had to use a air chisel.  Couldn't get it out no matter what i tried.

So I cleaned up the housing and thought I knocked down the high spots.  But apparently not enough. When I installed the new bearing, it went in fine, but wouldn't turn after installed. I finally got it to turn but it was choppy and bumpy. Like a speed bump the rollers had to pass over. None the less I removed everything again and cleaned the housing up much better. (Thought I had done well the first time).

Question: when I install the new outer bearing, do I install it with the inner race, or put that in after the bearing is installed.  Or does it matter?  Can I install those just with a bearing driver? I believe that's how I did it years ago. I don't have a press.

Any help, or works of wisdom greatly appreciated!  I'm very frustrated with myself about this.

Thanks!
Richard Jack
1974 Westy
Lubbock, TX